With winter starting to really kick in, the dreaded lurgy will be doing the rounds in workplaces across the UK. iHasco have recently fallen victim to the lurgy, with Kaz, Ollie and myself starting our very own coughing orchestra! This made us think about DSE hygiene and it's safe to say that the facts are shocking...
Let's cut straight to the point - your desk is probably dirtier than a toilet seat. Yes, you read that correctly. In fact, research suggests your desk could be 400 times dirtier than the average toilet seat!
Shocking DSE Hygiene facts
- Viruses can survive on hard surfaces like desks for up to 24 hours
- 80% of infections are transferred by touch
- The average computer keyboard harbours 7,500 different bacteria
- 2/3 office workers eat at their desk and 1/5 of them never clean their desk before eating
- The typical office worker's hands come into contact with 10 million bacteria every day
How often should I clean my workstation?
According to research, telephones should be cleaned once a week, keyboards once a week (or everytime you eat at your desk), office mouses once every three weeks, desks twice a week and computer screens once every three weeks. To be on the safe side, we recommend cleaning your whole workspace once a week.
Our DSE Training
Our DSE Training has a dedicated section covering desk hygiene, as well as information on keeping your eyes healthy, how using DSE incorrectly can strain your body and information on how to set up and use portable devices correctly! Claim your free, no obligation trial of this course today or get in touch with our friendly team to discuss this course further!