Key Features & Benefits of this Course
- Complete this course online in just 40 minutes
- Cover the essential knowledge needed for effective health and safety
- Reduce absences due to avoidable illness and accidents
- Show commitment to the Health and Safety at Work Act
- Independently approved by IOSH
- CPD approved
- Free trial, online demo and bulk discounts available
- End of course test and printable certificate
- Contact us to find out more about condensed versions and different languages
Health and Safety Training - Basics & Essentials Course Contents
1. Responsibilities and Legal Requirements of Health and Safety
This section looks at who is responsible for health and safety at work. It ensures that everyone is aware that they share the responsibility - they have a duty to themselves, to their colleagues and to their workplace.
It highlights the importance of training and communication.
2. Hazards and Risks in the Workplace
A hazard is something with the potential to cause harm and a risk is the likelihood of that harm happening. Here we look at what those risks might be in the workplace, we look at risk assessments and safe working.
The section is split into subsections, each covering one or more different areas of risk - slips, trips, falls, fire, manual handling, DSE, COSHH and electrical safety.
3. Safety Signs and their Importance
Workplace safety signs are used to communicate important messages to instruct, advise and warn.
In this section we look at the different types of safety signboards - prohibition signs, warning signs, mandatory signs, safe conditions signs and fire safety signs. We look at fire action signs and we also include COSHH safety signs (which use the CLP pictograms from the GHS system of Classification and labelling of chemicals).
4. Workplace safety and Emergency Procedures
Here we look at what to do if things go wrong!
We cover Workplace First Aid Kits and Accident Books for accident and injury reporting and we cover a worst case scenario, looking at calling the emergency services.
Test & Certificate
This Health and Safety Training - Basics & Essentials course concludes with a 20 question multiple choice test with printable certificate. In addition, brief in-course questionnaires guide the user through the sections of the training, and are designed to reinforce learning and ensure maximum user engagement throughout. As well as printable user certificates, training progress and results are all stored centrally in your LMS (Learning Management System) and can be accessed any time to re-print certificates, check and set pass marks and act as proof of a commitment to ongoing legal compliance.
Health and Safety Legislations
The iHasco Health and Safety Essentials programme is a starting point for workplace health and safety training, covering the basic knowledge required to help prevent some of the most common accidents and illnesses in the workplace. It covers basic requirements of a range of different Health and Safety regulations, including:
- The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
- The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992
- The Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) order 2005
- The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992
- The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
- The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002
Every employer must ensure that their employees are provided with adequate health and safety training
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 outline the duty of all employers to provide their personnel with Health and Safety training at the beginning of their employment. The law also stipulates that this training should a) be repeated on a regular basis, b) be adapted to take account of new risks to health and safety, and c) take place during working hours.